Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Oh my Stink! Teenage Hygiene with my Autistic Son

Teenage boys stink. I have two of them and it only get worse in the summer. My oldest , who is not on the autism spectrum, understands that a little hygiene can go along way with his peers, however Ethan does not.
As far as autistic people go, from my experience, social norms are bizarre and make little sense. It is not uncommon for Ethan to play outside, get dirty, sweaty , as well as be covered in whatever he spilled that day to want to go out in public. He also tends to get frustrated when I send him  to get changed and cleaned up.I guess he feels as tho if he feels good about his hygiene so should I. Unfortunately for him. I do not, so I came up with a non verbal way to remind him to be clean. If he checks this list out he will be reminded of what to do on a daily basis to keep mom of his back.



This also comes in handy for older son who sometimes gets a little lax on his daily hygiene. Please feel free to print out and use.

Love 
Ashley B

No comments:

Post a Comment