Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Special Guest Post "Speaking Jesus" by Lesley Plummer

That word "Jesus." Doesn't it just cut to the heart? I mean whether your a believer or not. It cuts in a different way. To a non believer it's like you're stunned, kind of stop and don't know how to process it OR you get insulted. To a believer you're like "Yes, yes Lord." 

I remember a store clerk said "God Bless" to Me and my Mom as we left the store in Oregon. My Mom said stunned, "What'd she say to us?" I clearly heard her and replied, "She said, God Bless."  My Mom said "Oh." but still confused. For my Mom it was like the lady physically slapped her across the face. It actually stopped her in her tracks she turned back to look at the lady, but said nothing and it was obvious she didn't know what to do or say. It's like she hadn't heard those words before. It's not like the lady shouted at us "Jesus is Savior!" or "Repent or you're going to hell!"  That would have been more unexpected than a simple "God bless." I think my mother's reaction would have been the same even if the clerk had said repent or you're going to hell to be quite honest.

Why does the name Jesus stop people in their tracks? Because it holds power? Because it lessens the hold of the darkness on them? Even if you don't know what to say when you pray and you just decide to chant "Jesus" over and over, it holds power. You lit your little light and you're letting it shine just by saying Jesus. It disturbs the disturbed. And to watch the reaction is a little comical, but really it should be more scary to me because there is so much evil on/in people these days. The more stunned people I see the more I think wow there's a lot of work to be done here. I am no evangelist either. I am not one to just outright talk about Jesus to any ol person I meet. That's not me.  I don't feel equipped for the anger that the discussion brings forth.  





You see I read the bible, but I am a young Christian I think they call it. If I cannot talk to a stranger about Jesus how can I talk to my family about him? Trust me I have tried. I come from an Atheist family. They have Christian values believe it or not, but they are in fact, not saved.  I will also not shove the word down their throats. For now all I can do is live for Jesus and hope they see him through me and my family.  I have been in the presence of my God Loving Aunt and my Mother at the same time, and I was able to talk freely with my Aunt about biblical books and God. My Mother noticed. My Mother and her husband visited and my husband expressed his thankfulness for them and spoke of God. They were deeply touched and they noticed where our family stands. My children have a firm foundation in Christ and my Mother notices their happiness.

So for those of us who can't evangelize yet, perhaps we're doing more than we think by living a Godly life and letting others see it. Don't give up, eyes may be watching that you're not aware of. You could be showing someone Jesus without even saying his name.

1 comment:

  1. This was so excellent, brought me to tears... this is so true. It is so important to walk the walk....

    ReplyDelete