Monday, December 2, 2013

Super Easy Farm House Plates

I love this project because it was so simple and so cheap. Here is how you can make it!


Its so simple I can do it!!


Buy Plates. I bought mine from the $ store. They are the best place to shop for  thrifty crafts!!


The paint and foam brush I bought at my local super center. This is special enamel paint and was about $4.00 with tax. I chose black but you can choose from whatever is available to you.


Make sure to measure the inner circumference of the plate. As you can see mine was 7"


Use your awesome Silhouette Cameo to cut out your farm animal. I made sure to size the circle to fit snugly in the inner plate circle. This made it super simple to make sure my animals sat centered on the plate. 
If you don't have a Silhouette Cameo, you could use a stencil from a craft store or hand cut one out using an Exacto knife.


Tape on your stencil using painters tape. I used card stock for this project but would use vinyl for a crisper edge next time.



I stippled the paint on so not to get under the paint under the paper and to get a fun texture. If using vinyl you could just use normal paint strokes.
VERY IMPORTANT: 
Do not let paint dry with stencil. The paint will come up with the stencil if you don't take it off right after you have painted! I had to redo the chicken plate because of this...





Let your plates dry according to paint manufactures instructions. I let mine air dry for an hour then baked in an unpreheated oven set to 350* for an hour. 
I hung these plates using good old fashioned plate hangers from the hardware store.
Please read your paint to see if you can eat off your plates. Mine are not food safe just pretty to look at,


The total cost for this project was about $10.00. I have to say I am really proud of myself here. It makes me feel great to decorate my home with items I have made myself. Extra bonus if they are cheap! Also I made another cute kitchen decoration that I am saving to show you later, but wait till you see it because it's adorable too.
This was my first craft tutorial and I hope you enjoyed it, because it was fun to make for you. If you have any questions as in the comments and i will help the best I can.

Love,
Ashley Brewer







No comments:

Post a Comment