Monday, February 3, 2014

He told his mom about how good these cookies are!!!

My mother in law makes wonderful desserts. As the matriarch of the family she enjoys baking her yummy delights for her family on special occasions almost as much as she enjoys telling you "No" when you ask for her recipe. To be honest most of her recipes are on brittle pieces of paper with really vague directions only she would  understand anyway. Not to mention I think they are just suggestions for how to bake this or that.
She is an Old School baker, you know, the kind we all aspire to be. Maybe that will put into perspective on just how giddy I was when I mentioned my new cookie recipe to her and she informed me my husband had already been bragging about them. I felt like I was about to fall over, or jump up to do a jig, or cry tears of joy. As I am sure some of you wives know that feeling of finally comparing to your mother in law's kitchen skills. That moment when you gain that notch on your apron strings! It's empowering for sure. Needless to say I am proud of myself enough to share this recipe with you.





My oatmeal cookie recipe, I now proudly refer to as my, He told his mom how good they are, Oatmeal Raisin Cookies is as follows:


Ingredients

1 Cup Salted Butter (softened)
2 Cups Turbinado Sugar
2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
2 Eggs
1 1/2 Cups flour
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
3 Cups Rolled Oats
1 1/2 Cups Raisins

Preheat oven to 350*
In a mixer cream together butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time then add in vanilla, scraping down the sides of bowl with rubber spatula as you go.
In a separate medium bowl, mix flour salt and baking soda together. Add into butter mixture in thirds making sure to scrape down sides each time. Mix till just blended. Add in oats and raisins and mix until incorporated.
Using a cookie scoop or large tablespoon, place cookies an inch apart on a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes or so. Keep an eye on your cookies and take them out when you think they are just underdone. They will  have give when you push down on the top. Let the cookies set up for 2 minutes on cookie sheet before transferring to cooling racks.



This recipe makes approximately 64 yummy cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment